Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Thing 22-Downloadable audiobooks

Our library provides NetLibrary audiobooks and I have had a subscription since the service started. The most difficult thing about the downloadables has been coordinating compatibility with windows media and mp3 players. It is also hard to make patrons understand why NetLibrary doesn't work with iPod.

I went through the overview of the Overdrive. Quite a nice product and looks relatively user friendly. But the limits for library circulations seem a little arbitrary since we are not talking about possession of a physical book.

We have used and recommended Project Gutenburg for years. I download books and read on my laptop computer. Just recently I read Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mary Rowlandson from the Gutenburg website. We always suggest going to Gutenburg when the holds list on the High School summer reading classics gets too long! I would like to own an e-book reader, but so far my computer works well...

Also fun: Google books...I have found some really wonderful old genealogy and local history books full text on their site. You can get an account and search on full text for all manner of books.

No comments: